There's something special about this smoked trout dip that we love. The creaminess of the dip combined with the flakiness of the trout just melts in your mouth. We've been able to perfect a recipe and create our delicious version. Trust us, it's worth the effort to make it.
Serve it with some crusty buttery Ritz crackers, baguette chips or pita chips, or even try it with some hearty bagel chips, the possibilities are endless.
You will need the following ingredients to make this recipe and bring it all together for a quick and perfect appetizer or snack:
- smoked trout ~ you can use any ready to eat, skinless smoked trout fillets. We used Trader Joe’s smoked trout, and it worked perfectly in this recipe. Tin trout usually comes in oil, if using tin trout, drain all the oil.
- cream cheese ~ you can use regular, whipped, or low fat. We used regular Philadelphia cream cheese.
- sour cream ~ it gives this dip a needed tanginess and loosens the texture. You can use low fat if you prefer.
- Dijon mustard ~ adds a rich gourmet flavor. If you don't have Dijon mustard, you can substitute it with any mustard you have on hand.
- lemon juice ~ fresh squeezed lemon juice adds a vibrant citrus flavor that brightens the dip and cuts the richness of the smoked fish.
- chives ~ adds a mild onion flavor without overpowering the dip. You can use green onions if you don't have chives.
- fresh dill ~ adds a rich, grassy, licorice-like flavor that really compliments the trout dip. If you don't like the flavor of fresh dill, you can eliminate it.
- spices ~ cayenne pepper adds a hint of spice. If you prefer no spice, substitute the cayenne pepper with sweet flavor of paprika.
- lemon juice ~ fresh lemon juice brightens and cuts the richness of the smoked fish.
- salt ~ you may need it, depending on how salty your fish is.
We served this smoked trout dip with buttery Ritz crackers. However, you can serve with other dippable snacks.
How to Make a Delicious Smoked Trout Dip
Ingredients for this recipe:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces smoked trout, skin removed and drained (if using tin trout)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- fresh lemon juice from a half of medium lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- extra chives, lemon zest, fresh dill and cayenne pepper for garnish (optional)
- Ritz Crackers
Make the trout dip first and taste it, you may want to season with salt & pepper after you make it. Trout and Dijon mustard contain salt and may be enough for your taste. Don't forget, you can always add more salt, but you cannot take it out.
It's easier to mix in a KitchenAid with the paddle attachment. However, if you do not have one, you can use a hand mixer or mix by hand with a whisk.
- Add all ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixed with the paddle attachment and mix well until all the ingredients are fully incorporated. (You can mix this with hand mixer, food processor or even by hand if you don't have an electric mixer).
- Transfer the smoked trout dip to a serving bowl and garnish with additional chopped chives and dill, if desired.
- Serve the dip with your favorite crackers, bread, or vegetable sticks.
Enjoy this delicious smoked trout dip as an appetizer or snack. Its rich and smoky flavor combined with the creamy texture will surely be a hit at your next gathering.