Winter Salad with Radicchio and Endive - Winter is the perfect time to enjoy hearty, flavorful and nutritious salads that are packed with seasonal flavors. One such salad that captures the essence of winter is the perfect combination of radicchio and endives. This winter salad not only provides a burst of color to your plate but also offers a refreshing and crisp taste.
We added deep purple citrusy blood orange segments, slightly toasted walnut pieces and pungently flavorful gorgonzola cheese to compliment the slight bitterness of the radicchio and endives. A semi-sweet salad dressing is recommended for this salad to bring all the flavors togethers. Try our Honey Prosecco Vinaigrette.
The Benefits of Radicchio and Endives
Radicchio and endives are both members of the chicory family and are known for their distinct bitter flavors. These leafy greens not only add a unique taste to your salad but also provide a range of health benefits.
Radicchio is a rich source of vitamins A and K, as well as antioxidants. It also contains dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and promotes a healthy gut. Endives, on the other hand, are packed with vitamins C and E, which are essential for boosting the immune system and maintaining healthy skin.
Preparing the Winter Salad with Radicchio and Endive
To create this delicious winter salad, you will need the following ingredients:
- head of radicchio, thinly sliced
- endives, chopped
- blood oranges - cut into segments or wheels*
- walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola
- salt and pepper to taste
This salad is amazing with our Roasted Red Grape Salad Dressing! It adds a touch of sweetness to compliment the bitterness from the radicchio and endive. It also pairs well with the pungent blue cheese.
*Helpful Tip: If you are unsure how to cut oranges or looking for the best and safest way to cut them, please visit How to Cut an Orange by Jessica Gavin. The Instructions and Step-by-Step photos are very helpful.
How to Make this Winter Salad Recipe
Once you have gathered all the ingredients, follow these simple steps to prepare the winter salad:
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced radicchio, chopped endives, blood orange segments, toasted walnuts, and crumbled goat cheese.
- Pour Roasted Red Grape Vinaigrette or your dressing of choice over the salad ingredients and toss gently to coat.
- Allow the flavors to meld together for a few minutes before serving.
This winter salad can be served as a side dish or enjoyed as a light lunch. Its combination of bitter radicchio, crunchy endives, and vibrant citrusy slight sweetness of blood oranges creates a well-balanced flavor profile that is exciting.
Customizing Your Winter Salad
While the above recipe provides a delicious base for a winter salad, feel free to customize it to suit your taste preferences. Here are a few ideas to make the salad with radicchio your own:
- Substitute blood orange with sliced apples or pears for a touch of sweetness and crunch.
- Include some roasted beets or butternut squash for added depth and earthy flavors.
- Swap the blue cheese for goat or feta cheese for a tangier taste.
- Drizzle some honey or maple syrup over the salad for a hint of sweetness.
- Top it off with some toasted pine nuts or pumpkin seeds for extra texture.
With these simple modifications, you can create a winter salad that suits your personal preferences and takes advantage of the seasonal ingredients available.
A winter salad with radicchio and endives is a great way to enjoy the flavors of the season and benefits of these bitter greens. Whether you serve it as a side dish or a light lunch, this salad is as delicious as it is vibrant and beautiful. So, embrace the winter season and make this nutritious and tasty salad.