A simple and satisfying garlic and oil spaghetti (aglio-e-olio) with added fresh mixed cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and mix of cheeses.
SPAGHETTI WITH FRESH TOMATOES, GARLIC AND OIL
It is officially Fall and in the food world October is National Pasta Month. We have recipe ideas that are both perfect for the Fall season and in celebration of October. Today, I am sharing a very simple garlic and oil spaghetti recipe with added fresh tomatoes and basil. Traditionally garlic and oil, or aglio-e-olio in proper Italian, is a simple garlic and oil pasta topped with cheese, most often made with spaghetti. It is so simple, yet so satisfying, especially when you crave something cheesy, oily and garlicy so people stay away from you. By the way, in this dish there is no recipe rule with garlic, use more if you like! Or less?
A SIMPLE VARIATION
We cleared out our garden and have an abundance of cherry tomatoes. They grew wild this year, but it was time for them to go. I don't have the heart to throw out the green tomatoes and therefore, I just added them to the mix. They stayed little harder than their ripe counterpart and have a hint of bitter flavor. I welcomed the extra layer of flavor that it added to the pasta dish. If you don't have access to green tomatoes, just omit them from the recipe. It will still be delicious.
Ingredients for this dish
cherry tomatoes – you can use grape tomatoes or plum tomatoes
spaghetti – any other shaped pasta will work in this recipe.
light olive oil – any other cooking oil can be used.
fresh basil - thinly sliced
fresh garlic - thinly sliced
shallot - thinly sliced, can use mild flavored white onion.
seasonings - sea salt, crushed pepper
toppings – EVOO – Extra Virgil Olive Oil, shaved Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
How to make garlic and oil pasta.
Cook the pasta according to package directions.
Place light olive oil, garlic and shallots into a large pan over medium high heat. Cook until lightly toasted.
Add tomatoes and continue cooking until tomatoes become soft.
Once cooked, add the pasta to the tomatoes and mix. Add some of the pasta water into the pan so it does not burn. Remove from heat and mix in fresh basil and season with salt and red crushed pepper.
Transfer into serving dishes and top with EVOO, shaved Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses.
Garlic and Oil Spaghetti with Fresh Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes sliced
- ½ pound of thin spaghetti
- ¼ cup light olive oil
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon fresh garlic thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon red crushed pepper
- Shaved Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Place light olive oil, garlic and shallots into a large pan over medium high heat. Cook until lightly toasted.
- Add tomatoes and continue cooking until tomatoes become soft.
- Once cooked, add the pasta to the tomatoes and mix. Add some of the pasta water into the pan so it does not burn. Remove from heat and mix in fresh basil and season with salt and red crushed pepper.
- Transfer into serving dishes and top with EVOO, shaved Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses.