Have you ever made blistered shishito pepper hummus? If not, this is a must try recipe especially if you love to make your own hummus as much as I do. Homemade hummus is one of the easiest and quickest appetizers or snacks to put together. And the flavor combinations are endless.
EASY FLAVORFUL PEPPER HUMMUS
Hummus is a super easy appetizer to make from scratch and makes a perfect appetizer/snack for any dinner party or gathering. The reason I love hummus is because it is so versatile. The base recipe can be altered to just about any flavor you are in the mood for or a flavor that happens to be in season. This blistered shishito pepper hummus is one of my all-time favorite recipes.
This easy blistered shishito pepper homemade hummus is made from scratch in about five minutes. It has a vibrant lime flavor with bites of charred pepper and nutty sesame seeds. Instead of chips, I toasted up some Naan bread to fancy it up a bit. It was a hit and perfect for a summer appetizer.
What are Shishito Peppers?
Shishito peppers are native to Asia. They are slender and long peppers. Shishito peppers are harvested in the summer when they are green but will turn deep red if left on the plant to ripen. Most of the peppers are sweet and mild but once in a while you will bite into a spicy one. You can't tell which one is spicy, there are no signs, just surprises. Most of the time, the spice is tolerable and enjoyable.
The peppers have a thin skin and blister easily. Blistered shishito peppers are often served at restaurants as a simple appetizer that is easily shared. Sometimes they are served with a dipping sauce, such as an Asian peanut sauce but they are delicious on their own with just a hint of sea salt.
Let's make blistered shishito pepper hummus.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
- Naan bread
- shishito peppers
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lime juice
- cooking oil
- lime zest
- sesame seeds
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
HOW TO MAKE Blistered SHISHITO PEPPER HUMMUS
- Toast Naan bread and set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan on medium high heat. Once hot, add shishito peppers and cook until charred. Keep rotating the peppers until all sides have a char. They will expand and burst. Keep an eye on them. Once charred on all sides, set aside and let cool.
- Once the peppers have cooled, chop them up. Place half of the chopped shishito peppers into a high-powered blender. Reserve the other half for topping.
- Add all other ingredients EXCEPT the sesame seeds (they are for garnish) into the blender and blend well.
- Transfer into a serving dish and garnish with reserved chopped shishito peppers, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice and sesame seeds. Serve with toasted Naan bread or corn chips.
You may also like...
Try our Pumpkin Hummus. It is easy, tasty and perfect for the Fall season.