When it comes to comfort food, few dishes can match the hearty and satisfying flavors of a stew. This easy recipe for beef stew is creamy and loaded with mushrooms. It is made over the stove, and it is super simple to make. This classic dish is perfect for chilly evenings or when you're craving a warm and filling meal. With tender beef, earthy mushrooms, and a rich and creamy sauce, it’s definitely worth making.
Best Beef for Stews
For this recipe, we opted to keep it really simple. We used packaged beef stew meat, which is usually shoulder meat. It tends to be a bit tougher, however, the slow cooking process created tender, fall-apart pieces of meat. Alternatively, if you can’t find meat that specifically states, “stew meat”, chuck steak is also a great option. Usually, it tends to be the same cut of meat. It is economical and budget friendly.
We used simple white mushrooms, in this recipe, they add another layer of meaty texture. The red wine takes this recipe from good to great. Adding red wine to stew is a classic boeuf bourguignon recipe. The alcohol in the wine will cook off, leaving a rich burst of flavor in the dish. And the heavy creamy adds richness and compliments this beef stew recipe.
How to Make Creamy Beef and Mushroom Stew
This recipe is so simple to put together, you just need some time for the beef to cook and become tender. Follow this simple recipe for beef stew and you will have a perfect, cozy meal for the whole family to enjoy!
- beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- white onion, diced
- cloves of garlic, minced
- olive oil
- mushrooms, sliced
- all-purpose flour
- beef broth
- heavy cream
- red wine
- Worcestershire sauce
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef stew meat and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pot. Cook for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir to coat. Cook for another minute to cook off the raw flour taste.
- Slowly pour in the beef broth, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the red wine and mix well.
- Return the browned beef to the pot and add the Worcestershire sauce and dried oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pot and let the stew simmer over low heat for about 2 hours, or until the beef is tender. Stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the heavy cream and let the stew simmer for an additional 10 minutes to heat through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve the creamy beef and mushroom stew hot.
What to Serve with Beef Stew
You can enjoy this dish on its own or you can serve it with the following sides:
- Add some steamed or sauteed vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels Sprouts or cauliflower and you have a wonderful keto friendly meal.
- Serve it over your favorite pasta, whether it’s classic spaghetti or fancy pappardelle pasta. This rich stew over a bed of pasta is fantastic.
- Potatoes would make a great side for this stew. Your choice of creamy mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes or Garlic Herbed Smash Potatoes, would make a filling and satisfying addition to the stew.
- Lastly, add your favorite grains to this dish. Make white or brown rice, quinoa or farro. Simply follow the package directions and you have a nutritious side for the beef and mushroom stew.
Hearty Meal for Winter Days - The Perfect Recipe for Beef Stew with Mushrooms
This creamy recipe for beef stew with mushroom is a delicious and comforting meal that is perfect for cold winter days. The tender beef, savory mushrooms, and creamy sauce come together to create a dish that is full of flavor and texture.
Feel free to customize this recipe to your liking. You can add additional vegetables such as carrots, celery, root vegetables, peas or potatoes for a heartier, more nutritious meal. Stews are versatile and forgiving dishes and can be adapted to your preferences.
So, if you are in the mood for a warm and comforting meal, give this creamy beef and mushroom stew a try. It's an easy and classic dish that you will enjoy.
Thyme of Season is on Substack! As we start the new year, we will be sharing exclusive recipes to our subscribers. Subscribe for free and enjoy these exclusive recipes.