Mark your calendars! April 7 is National Beer Day. Beer is the third most popular drink; water is the first and tea comes in second. Beer Day celebrates all types of beer, and with so many styles to choose from, surely, we can all grab a glass of our favorite beer and raise a toast. Cheers!
Beer has been around since the dawn of civilization, with evidence of its existence as far back as 9500 BC. It's one of the oldest prepared beverages in the world, and its popularity has endured throughout the centuries. Today, there are hundreds of varieties, flavors, and proofs and it only makes sense that it is the #1 alcoholic beverage choice of many.
April 7 is National Beer Day
Scientists have found evidence of beer production in 7,000 BC, and Ancient Mesopotamians wrote poems about it. Ancient Egyptians used it in religious ceremonies and Medieval Europe monks elevated the craft of brewing beer to an art form.
On March 23rd,1933, President Franklin Roosevelt officially signed the Cullen-Harrison Act into law - an act that would come into effect on April 7th to allow the brewing, and sale, of beer in the United States - as long as it was not higher than 3.2% ABV (4% alcohol by volume).
This momentous event was honored in 2009 by Justin Smith, from Virginia, who declared April 7 as National Beer Day. Since then, the state of Virginia has officially recognized this important day and millions of beer lovers have joyously celebrated it!
Today it is estimated that beer production exceeds over 35 billion gallons worldwide. It's clear that beer is an incredible and engaging drink!
Two Main Types of Beer
When it comes to beer, there are two main types - lager and ale. These two types are the basis of all beer styles and other beer varieties, with fermentation being the most significant factor in distinguishing beer styles.
Lager is made with one strain of yeast and is fermented at cold temperatures (35˚F – 50˚F). On the other hand, ale is made with another type of yeast and is fermented at warmer temperatures (60˚F – 70˚F). Additionally, some beers contain both lager and ale characteristics, and are classified as hybrids.
Lager and Ale – Brewing Styles
With over 100 beer styles out there, it's no surprise that many of us are unsure of the differences between them. While we can't cover every brewing style in detail, but let's take a look at the major types of beer and what sets them apart from one another. Here is a quick overview of the most popular worldwide brewing styles of beer.
- American Lager
- American Pale Ale
- Blond Ale
- English Pale Ale
- German Helles
- Indian Pale Ale (referred to as IPA)
How to Celebrate National Beer Day
- Order a glass of beer with your dinner at a restaurant.
- Visit your local pub and have a beer.
- Pick up a pack of beer and enjoy a glass or two at home.
- See if anyone is hosting a beer tasting event in your local area and go out and enjoy a sampling of beers.
- Invite friends for a beer and snacks and enjoy good beer with good friends.
- Visit a specialty beer store. Some allow you to create a mix-and-match six-pack, so you get exactly the beer styles you prefer. Trader Joe’s allows you to mix and match beers.
- Create a recipe using beer. View our amazing list of recipes we curated using beer. Cooking with Beer - 15 Delicious Recipes
- Create a social media survey asking your friends and family what their favorite beer type is.
- Share a selfie with your favorite beer. Use #NationalBeerDay
- Share a fun beer quote on social media.
- Always, DRINK RESPONSIBLY !!
Social Media Beer Hashtags
#beer #beerday #craftbeer #beerporn #beers #beerstagram #instabeer
#beergeek #beernerd #craftbeerlife #beertime #craftbeerlover #beersnob
#beersofinstagram #ilovebeer #beerlove #beergarden #beerlife #beerpics
#beerfest #beeroftheday #goodbeer #lovebeer #beertasting #localbeer
#celebratebeer #aprilholidays #aprilfoodholidays #April7 #fooddrinkholidays
"On victory, you deserve beer. On defeat, you need it."Napoleon Bonaparte
"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world."Jack Nicholson
"Give my people plenty of beer, good beer, and cheap beer, and you will have no revolution among them."Queen Victoria
“In a study, scientists report that drinking beer can be good for the liver. I’m sorry, did I say ‘scientists’? I meant Irish people.”Tina Fey
“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”Abraham Lincoln