Let's raise a glass to Wine Day! May 25 is National Wine Day, a special day for wine lovers everywhere! There are so many options to choose from. Uncork your favorite bottle of Red or White; Pink or Orange and join the celebration and make a toast—Happy National Wine Day!
What is Wine
Do you know where your favorite wine comes from? The answer is grapes and other fruits - they are fermented to become the alcoholic beverage we all love! Different grapes give different wines, and experienced winemakers know how to mix them to create new, more complex flavors.
Red wine is not just a delicious alcoholic drink. It is an experience to savor. Enjoy the rich and robust flavors of red wine with notes of juicy, ruby red fruits like cherries, raspberries, blackberries, and black currants. The red fruits are blended with red grape varietals. A great bottle of red wine is a fantastic pairing it with excellent company and food.
To make a white wine, winemakers use grapes with light yellow-green or light red skins. The tannins found in the grape skins that give color and flavor to the wine. White wines are typically sweeter and should be served cold, while most reds are best enjoyed at room temperature. However, sweet reds are best enjoyed chilled for optimal flavor.
Wines come in a variety of captivating colors, from ruby red to zesty orange. The vibrant hues of wine result from a process of careful care and attention by winemakers, from nurturing the grapes in the vineyard to bringing out their full potential and expression in the wine.
As a wine lover, the next time you pour yourself a glass, take a minute to appreciate the color of your wine and the care that went into creating it.
May 25 is National Wine Day - History
National Wine Day is an occasion for wine lovers to come together and revel in the deliciousness of the fruit of the vine! Unfortunately, the exact origin of this day of celebration is unknown, records show it dates back to 2009.
For thousands of years, humans have been enjoying the delicious and nutritious beverage known as wine. Drinking wine creates a pleasurable effect of warmth, coziness and relaxation and people love a glass of wine at the end of the day.
U.S. has over 4,000 wineries, with at least three wineries in every state. California produces the most wines in the U.S.
Six Types of Wine
Wine is a fascinating beverage, and its flavor is determined by a variety of factors. The two primary types of grapes are white grapes, which are actually green and yellow colored, and black grapes, which are actually red colored!
Within these two types of grapes, there are hundreds of varieties used to make thousands of wine varietals and blends. Many other factors influence a wine’s character, like the wine region, tannins, sweetness, acidity, body, and flavors.
Let's explore the six main types of wines:
- Red Wines – Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Red Zinfandel, Malbec, Chianti, Bordeaux, Pinot Noir, Montepulciano, and more.
- White Wines – Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Chenin Blanc, Viognier, and more.
- Pink Wines – Rosé, White Zinfandel, Blush Chablis, Pink Moscato, and more.
- Sparkling Wines – Champagne, Prosecco, Cava, and more.
- Dessert or Sweet Wines – Moscato, Ice Wine, Lambrusco, Tokaji, and more.
- Fortified Wines – Sherry, Port, Marsala, Madeira, Vermouth, and more.
The delightful Orange Wine deserves a mention. Popular for centuries, this deep orange-hued wine was officially dubbed 'orange wine' in 2004. And there is a National Orange Wine Day on October 6th.
National and International Wine Days
We can celebrate wine all year long. Mark your calendars with these national and international wine days:
February 16th – International Syrah Day
February 18th – Global Drink Wine Day
March 3rd – National Mulled Wine Day
March 13th – International Riesling Day
April 17th – International Malbec Day
May 5th – International Sauvignon Blanc Day
May 9th – World Moscato Day
May 25th – National Wine Day
May 26th – International Chardonnay Day
June 10th – National Rosé Day
June 18th – Drink Chenin Blanc Day
June 21st – World Lambrusco Day
July 25th – National Wine and Cheese Day
August 13th – International Prosecco Day
August 18th – National Pinot Noir Day
August 31st – International Cabernet Day
September 15th – International Grenache Day
October 6th – National Orange Wine Day
November 9th – International Tempranillo Day
November 15th – National Zinfandel Day
December 31st – National Champagne Day
How to Celebrate National Wine Day
- Order a glass of your favorite with dinner at a restaurant.
- Visit your local wine and liquor store and pick up a bottle of wine to serve with dinner at home.
- See if anyone is hosting a wine tasting or wine pairing event in your local restaurant and go out and enjoy new wines.
- Host a wine dinner with close friends and/or family and create lasting memories.
- Visit a local winery and buy a few local wines.
- Create a cocktail using wine as an ingredient. See our Best Wine Cocktails collection.
- Create a recipe using wine. View our Cooking with Wine - 20 Easy Recipes collection.
- Create a social media survey asking your friends and family what their favorite wine type is.
- Acquire interesting wine gadgets, like a new wine opener or a cool decanter.
- Wear a fun wine shirt, accessorize with wine jewelry or wine themed bag.
- Buy a wine book or take an online wine course and learn more about wines, information is plentiful, if wine interests you.
- Share a selfie with your favorite wine. Use #NationalWineDay
- Share a fun wine quote on social media.
- Always, DRINK RESPONSIBLY!!
Share these wine hashtags on social media:
#wine #wineday #winelover #winetasting #redwine #foodandwine #winetime #winelovers #winery #instawine #whitewine #winestagram #wineoclock #winecountry #wines #winebar #winelife #winenight #wineglass #italianwine #winelove #winerecipes #winepairings #sangria #ilovewine #wineconstantly #goodwine #localwine #wineries #winetastings #celebratewine #winepics #mayholiodays #mayfoodholidays #May25 #fooddringholidays
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy."Benjamin Franklin
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more wine."Ernest Hemingway
"Wine to me is passion. It's family and friends. It's warmth of heart and generosity of spirit."Robert Mondavi
"I believe that for every casual meal or celebration, there is a wine for every moment"Martha Stewart
"Wine, like food, is so emotional. If you think about it, so much of the courting ritual is surrounded by wine and food. There's a built-in romance to wine."Padma Lakshmi
"My philosophy from day one is that I can sleep better at night if I can improve an individual's knowledge about food and wine and do it on a daily basis."Emeril Lagasse