February 9 is National Pizza Day! It is a day to celebrate and honor one of America's most beloved foods! From classic thin crust to Chicago-style deep dish, there's something for everyone when it comes to pizza. Whether you prefer it with cheese, vegetables, or pepperoni, don't forget to enjoy a slice or two on Pizza Day!
Pizza is quick, available everywhere, versatile and irresistible. From the basic beginning of sauce on flatbread to the current luxurious offerings, pizza has won the hearts and stomachs of individuals from everywhere throughout the world.
February 9 is National Pizza Day
Pizza has a long history, with its origins tracing back to the 10th century in Naples, Italy. In 1905, the first pizzeria in America, Lombardi's, opened in New York. Since then, the pizza craze has spread across the United States, with an estimated 3 billion pizzas sold each year - or 46 slices and 23 pounds of pizza per person annually. The favorite topping is pepperoni, with an impressive 251.7 million pounds of the cured meat used on pizzas in the US annually.
Are you a fan of the classic Italian Margherita pizza? Do you like the traditional American cheese and pepperoni? Cheese pizza is the most popular and most ordered pizza. Pepperoni is the most popular topping ordered on pizza. Do you feel bolder and need to feature that in a special selection of pizza fixings? Create your own, especially when making your own pizza at home.
It is believed that the initial National Pizza Day likely commenced sometime in the early 2000s, but we are not sure when it started. However, it now deserves to be recognized and celebrated yearly!
Other Pizza Days to Celebrate
September 5 is National Pizza Day
October 11 is National Sausage Pizza Day
November 12 is National Pizza with the Works except Anchovies Day
April 5 is National Deep-Dish Pizza Day
May - Third Friday every May is National Pizza Party Day
10 Interesting Facts about Pizza
National Pizza Day is celebrated annually on February 9th to commemorate the day that the first Pizzeria opened in Naples, Italy in 1738. Since then, pizza has become a staple food in many countries, with the USA being no exception. Here are a few interesting facts about pizza in America:
- Pepperoni is one of the most popular pizza toppings and it accounts for 36% of all ordered pizzas.
- More than 3 billion pizzas are sold every year in the USA.
- 1 billion frozen pizzas are sold every year in the USA.
- 17% of all restaurants in the USA are pizzerias.
- The first pizzeria in the USA opened in New York City by Gennaro Lombardi in 1985.
- On average, 23 pounds of pizza is consumed per person every year in America.
- Pizza Hut is America’s favorite pizza, followed by Papa John’s and Dominos, respectively.
- Over half of Americans prefer restaurant or pizzeria pizza over frozen pizza.
- The most desired and complimentary alcoholic beverage with pizza is beer.
- Pineapple is the least favorite pizza topping.
How to Celebrate National Pizza Day
- Visit your local pizzeria or restaurant that serves pizza and eat-in or order a take-out pizza pie. Don’t forget a shout-out and tag them on social media.
- Enjoy a slice pf pizza for lunch.
- Treat your co-workers or team to a pizza lunch, it’s affordable.
- Make a homemade pizza pie. View our Best Homemade Pizza Recipes collection.
- Post a picture on social media eating or making pizza and use #NationalPizzaDay
- Take the kids out for pizza dinner, they will love it!
- Run a fun survey on social media and ask your friends and family to share their favorite pizza toppings.
- Post a fun pizza meme or quote on your favorite social media.
Share these Pizza Hashtags on Social Media:
|#pizza #pizzaday #pizzalover #foodie #pizzatime #instafood #italianfood #delivery #pizzalovers #pasta #pizzeria #foodblogger #foodphotography #foodlover #yummy #foodstagram #delicious #pizzaria #instagood ##pizzaparty #Italianrestaurant #dinner #pizzagram #italy #cheese #pizzas #pepperonipizza #mushroompizza #pizzatoppings #pizzzapics #foodholidays #Februaryfoodholidays #February9 #fooddringholidays
"Pizza is a circle. Pizza is my life. Pizza is the circle of life."Ed Sheeran
"You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."Yogi Berra
"Anyone who says that money cannot buy happiness has clearly never spent their money on pizza."Andrew W.K.
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap."Kevin James
"I always treat myself to one meal on Sundays when I can have whatever I want. Usually it's pizza, which is my favorite indulgence."Beyonce Knowles