Get your ovens ready! December 4 is National Cookie Day, and it's the perfect time to celebrate the beloved cookie. Known for its irresistible scent, the cookie is more than just a sweet treat. It has a magical ability to make a bad day a little better, enhance a cup of coffee, and even bring joy to the man in the big red suit. It does not matter what your favorite cookie is or what you are in the mood for, it’s a day to celebrate all cookies. So, don your baking aprons and let's get to work!
December 4 is National Cookie Day - History
National Cookie Day was founded by San Francisco’s Blue Chip Cookie Company owner, Matt Nadler, and inaugurated in 1987. Matt's idea was to recognize and celebrate America's favorite treat, and it quickly became a hit! December 4 is National Cookie Day and it's now a much-loved holiday across the U.S. People from all over the world are catching on to the celebration as well. Plus, there are other National Cookie Days that are dedicated to specific cookie types – so no cookie is left out!
Facts About Cookies
There is so much to know about cookies. We wanted to share a few interesting things about cookies you may not have known before.
Cookies are classified into different categories. The 10 most popular cookie categories are:
- Bar cookies
- Drop cookies
- Filled cookies
- Molded cookies
- No bake cookies
- Piped cookies
- Pressed cookies
- Refrigerator cookies
- Rolled cookies
- Sandwich cookies
Other National Cookie Days
As mentioned above National Cookie Day celebrates ALL cookie types and flavors. That means even a cookie that no one has ever heard of is celebrated. However, there are national holidays for some of the more popular and well-known cookies. Some specific cookie holidays are:
- National Oreo Cookie Day celebrated on March 6th
- National Oatmeal Cookie Day celebrated on April 30th
- National Peanut Butter Cookie Day celebrated on June 12th
- National Sugar Cookie Day celebrated on July 9th
- National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day celebrated on August 4th
- National Homemade Cookie Day celebrated on October 1st
10 Most Popular Cookies
Cookies make great gifts, they offer a variety for cookie platters, are loved at bake sales and are fun at cookie exchanges. And the heavenly smell they leave in the kitchen is certainly a perk. They come in a wide range of flavors, shapes, and textures. We researched some cookie stats, and the 10 most loved cookies are:
1. Chocolate Chip
2. Peanut Butter
3. Sugar Cookies
6. Oatmeal Raisin
8. Kiss Cookies – most popular being Peanut Butter Blossoms
9. Snowball Cookies or Sandies
10. Thumbprint Cookies
How to Celebrate National Cookie Day
- Order a tray of cookies from your local bakery and bring them to work and share with everyone.
- Buy ready-made cookie dough and bake a fresh batch.
- Buy a box of cookies for dessert. It's easy and most grocery stores have an isle dedicated to cookies, which means a lot of choices. You can also visit the bakery section, they always have fresh baked treats, including cookies.
- Bake cookies at home. Find a new cookie recipe or a tried a true recipe. We have a list of divine cookies to choose from. View them HERE.
- Host a fun cookie exchange on December 4th, an early holiday get together with sweet cookie treats.
- Go on your favorite social media and host a “What’s your favorite cookie”? survey. See how many of your friends and family will choose “chocolate chip”.
- Share a selfie with your favorite cookie. Use #NationalCookieDay
- Create and make cookie-themed crafts with your kids and teach them a little bit about cookie history.
- Give a social media shout-out to your favorite local bakery that sells fresh baked cookies. I’m sure they would appreciate the love.
- Share a food or baking blogger’s cookie recipe with your followers and tag them. They too would appreciate the love.
- Email or post a funny GIF or meme celebrating national Cookie Day. Make someone smile!
- And, don’t forget your pets. Bake a batch of dog or cat friendly cookies for your furry family member. They love cookies too! See our list of Cookies for Dogs and Cats.
Share with these other Cookie related hashtags:
#cookies #cookiebaker #cookierecipes #cookieexchage #freshbakedcookies #cookieday #celebratecookies #dogcookies #catcookies #decemberholidays #decemberfoodholidays #December4 #fooddrinkholidays
"A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand."Barbara Johnson
"Baking cookies is comforting, and cookies are the sweetest little bit of comfort food. They are very bite-sized and personal."Sandra Lee
"I think cookies are sort of the unsung sweet, you know? They're incredibly popular. But everybody thinks of cakes and pies and fancier desserts before they think cookies. A plate of cookies is a great way to end dinner and really nice to share at the holidays."Bobby Flay
"Number one, I absolutely love making chocolate chip cookies. I mean, it's fun. It's exciting. Beyond the fact that I love making them, I love eating them."Debbi Fields