This simple, yet gourmet avocado toast with vibrant lime, sauteed earthy baby Bella mushrooms and hardboiled eggs is a delicious, quick and filling breakfast or lunch. The eggs and mushrooms can be prepared the night before. No need to cook in the morning, especially if you are pressed for time.
WHAT IS GOURMET AVOCADO TOAST?
The original or classic version of avocado toast is simple crispy bread topped with smashed avocado seasoned with a pinch of sea salt, a drizzle of olive oil and perhaps a squeeze of lemon juice. This avocado toast with egg and mushrooms would qualify as "gourmet". Gourmet does not mean difficult or contains uncommon ingredients.
So then, what makes the basic avocado toast gourmet avocado toast? The answer to that is “just about anything”. It’s your canvas and your opportunity to make it as gourmet as you wish. There are thousands of ideas out there for fancy avocado toast, it has that much opportunity. It can be sweet, savory or both. You can add meat, cheese, fruit etc. In short, the addition of different types of ingredients makes avocado toast gourmet.
Avocados – ripe avocados work best. Avocados are ripe when they feel firm but yield or give when light pressure is applied.
Mushrooms – sautéed baby Bella mushrooms are great in this recipe, but you can use simple white mushrooms or mix of fancy exotic mushrooms.
Eggs – hard boiled eggs.
Toast – any toast works for this recipe. We used hearty, nut loaded grain bread for extra nutrition and flavor.
Oil – oil is used for sautéing the mushrooms. We used light olive oil, but vegetable or canola oil will work fine too.
Seasonings – to add flavor to the avocado toast we seasoned it with zesty lime juice for lively citrus flavors. A generous sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning mix will add a sweet and nutty flavor from the toasted sesame seeds and dehydrated onions. And lastly, salt and pepper to taste and chopped green onion for optional garnish.
See Full Recipe in RECIPE CARD Below.
HOW TO MAKE AVOCADO TOAST WITH EGG AND MUSHROOMS
Place eggs into a pot of water and boil for about 12 minutes. Let cool under cold water.
Place olive oil into a small pan and sauté the mushrooms until they are half their size. About 5 minutes. Keep mixing them as the cook. Let cool
Lightly toast the bread and set aside.
Smash the avocado in a bowl with a fork. Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper.
Assemble the toast by spreading the smashed avocado onto the bread. Add mushrooms and sliced eggs. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning, extra lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
TIPS and NOTES: Eggs and mushrooms can be cooked ahead of time and refrigerated.
NOT JUST FOR BREAKFAST
This fancy avocado toast is perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, makes a great light dinner option or a late-night snack. It is as flavorful as is nutritious and can be enjoyed any time of the day. See our similar open sandwich recipe suggestions: Curry Chickpea Salad and Asparagus and Egg on Sourdough Toast.
Wholegrain Avocado Toast
- 2 small ripe avocados
- 4 ounces sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- 1 tablespoon light cooking olive oil
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoon everything bagel seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste optional
- chopped green onion for garnish optional
- Place eggs into a pot of water and boil for about 12 minutes. Let cool under cold water. *Eggs can be cooked ahead of time and refrigerated.
- Place olive oil into a small pan and sautee the mushrooms until they are half their size. About 5 minutes. Keep mixing them as the cook. Let cool
- Lightly toast the bread and set aside.
- Smash the avocado in a bowl with a fork. Season to taste with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Assemble the toast by spreading the smashed avocado onto the bread. Add mushrooms and sliced eggs. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning, extra lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.